Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I'm back in the kitchen!

I've been wanting to do this for awhile now, and am happy to share with you what makes me happiest; COOKING! Although my boyfriend may beg to differ, I feel that I am definitely a genius in the kitchen. My Portuguese and Brasilian background, mixed with Jersey Italian and SoCal Mexican, gives me a niche of spice with flavor like no other. Enough of talking about myself for now, let’s get to the meat of life; EATING:

Ingredients:

  1. Jasmine Rice
  2. Canned corn
  3. White beans
  4. Kielbasa
  5. Onions
  6. Bay leaves
  7. Garlic
  8. Jalapeno peppers
  9. Broccoli
  10. Olive Oil
  11. Salt
  12. Pepper

  • Sautee the garlic and throw the rice in. Regardless of how much rice you want to make, the secret is to always use 2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice.
  • Throw in the can of corn after the rice has been cooking for at least 10-15 min. (low fire--I always remember my grandmother saying, "The slower you cook things the better it'll taste!).
  • Meanwhile you should be cooking the white beans in a pressure cooker (either that or let it soak in water overnight before cooking it for about 1 ½ hrs.).
  • Throw in a whole onion cut in quarters (there will be 4 pieces :) and some bay leaves to cook with the beans. Don't forget the salt!
  • Fill a small pot with about 2 inches of water and let it boil. Once the steam is going, get the broccoli in there with some salt, pepper, and I used garlic powder but that's your choice. Cover it up to let the steam cook the broccoli. Better than submerging the vegetable in a full pot of water.
  • Once the beans are ready (30 min. in the pressure cooker, 1 hr. 1/2 in a regular pot), Sautee the jalapeño peppers with olive oil, then throw in the kielbasa.
  • Once the kielbasa has had a chance to fry a bit, throw in tons of garlic and fry it a bit more.
  • When the kielbasa has been frying for about 5-10 minutes, scoop up some beans with tons of liquid and throw it in the mix which contains the garlic, kielbasa, and jalapeno peppers. Swirl it around and quickly throw all of that into the pot of beans.
  • Let everything stand under fire for another two minutes or until its boiling and you’re ready to SERVE!
  • Voila! Eat and enjoy
  • I recommend some Cholula/Chili Garlic Hot Sauce with it.
  • Delicious!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment